This Double Chocolate Banana Bread is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and vegan. Enjoy a slice by itself, top with seed butter, or add to a breakfast yogurt bowl!
But first, chocolate. For breakfast.
90’s kids – do you remember the days when we would have chocolate cereals for breakfast? My mom would only let us get them for special occasions, but there’s still something so nostalgic about creamy chocolate in the morning.
This Double Chocolate Banana Bread will give you all of the chocolate, but none of the bad ingredients or sugar crash. I enjoyed a slice with my morning coconut yogurt and it was next level delicious.
This loaf didn’t last long between breakfast and dessert! It will definitely be a staple in our kitchen now. Bake an extra loaf and freeze the slices for a treat – thank me later.
This recipe is:
- vegan + vegetarian
- refined sugar-free
When cooling, it can be left covered on the counter or stored in the fridge. I stored my loaf in the fridge, because chilled banana bread is actually really really good. You can also store slices in the freezer.
No, you can make this chocolate banana bread without the chocolate chips. If you prefer a less sweet version or specifically want the loaf for breakfast, you can try it without the chocolate chips or just use ¼ cup.
For a baked good, this is a very healthy choice! There’s no gluten, grains, refined sugars, or animal products. The chia egg adds fiber, while the almond flour and the sunbutter add protein.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 bananas ripe
- 1 chia egg see notes
- ¾ cup coconut milk can substitute oat, almond, cashew
- ¼ cup sunbutter can substitute almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prep chia egg. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all wet ingredients together: bananas, chia egg, coconut milk, sunbutter, vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients together: almond flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then mix well to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into loaf pan lined with parchment paper, then tap on the counter to even batter. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to set. Banana bread is best the next day!
- Make a chia egg by combining 1 tbsp chia seeds and 3 tbsp water in a small bowl. Mix and let sit for 5 minutes.
- It’s important to let the banana bread cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into it. I prefer to let it sit overnight, either covered on the counter or in the fridge.