This is the perfect smoothie to add more vegetables to your diet. It tastes like the classic Thin Mint cookie in creamy milkshake form, but packs a hidden nutritional punch.
Improving your food choices can seem daunting at first, but my motto is this: just start with breakfast. Smoothies are easy, and if you play it right you can add tons of greens and superfoods without tasting them.
Developing the habit of drinking a fresh green smoothie every morning made a huge difference in my energy levels. Salads were never my favorite food (until recently, when we created the Spring Roll Salad), so my goal is to get a salad's worth of greens in my smoothie every day - without it tasting like a salad.
My mint chocolate smoothie will give you maximum thin mint vibes minus any of the harmful ingredients. It's creamy and naturally sweet, so you don't have to worry about a sugar crash. The smoothie is filling enough to eat for breakfast, but can also be paired with a high-fiber breakfast bread like my Cinnamon Raisin Banana Bread.
This recipe includes maca powder, which is an adaptogenic superfood. It can help balance your hormones and boost mood + energy. Cacao and spirulina also provide sustainable energy (and the spirulina gives it that mint green color!). Pro tip: spirulina's taste can be fully masked with the right amount of mint.
THIS RECIPE IS:
- vegan + vegetarian
- refined sugar-free
TOOLS + INGREDIENTS:
- Maca powder
- Peppermint extract
- Hemp milk
- Organic Protein + Greens powder
- Chaga powder
- Cacao nibs
Yes, mint extract usually contains spearmint as well. I personally love spearmint, but some people find that it can taste similar to gum or mints. I recommend peppermint extract if you want the classic mint flavor.
Nope! It may not taste the same or have quite as many benefits, but you could create this with just banana, spinach, peppermint, plant-based milk, and the chocolate protein powder or cacao powder.
Sure! You can use almond, cashew, coconut... it will taste a bit different depending on the milk, but it should be minor. I like hemp milk because it's extra creamy.
If you try this Thin Mint Chocolate Smoothie recipe, please leave a comment and rate it below. Would love to hear what you pair it with!
Thin Mint Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 banana frozen
- 1 cup spinach fresh
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp spirulina
- 1 cup hemp milk unsweetened
- 1 scoop Chocolate + Greens Protein Powder see notes
- ½ tsp chaga powder optional
- 1 tsp maca powder optional
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs topping or blended
- Combine ingredients in blender and blend on high until fully mixed (I recommend blending the spinach and hemp milk first, then adding the rest of the ingredients). Serve in a glass and top with cacao nibs.
- The Chocolate + Greens powder can be substituted for cacao powder. Use 1 heaping tablespoon.
- Serving size is for 1 person, but sometimes we split this between 2 people depending on how hungry we are. I usually pair it with a bowl of fruit or a breakfast bread/muffin.