This creamy Chocolate Sunbutter Ice Cream is the perfect nut-free alternative to chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Simply blend and enjoy this healthier treat!
We finally got a Vitamix (!!!) and I have been blending everything. After growing accustomed to a Vitamix when I was younger, I’ve missed it ever since. You made it clear on IG that you want all the ice cream Vitamix recipes, starting with a classic: chocolate and peanut butter.
Chocolate and peanut butter are the OG combo. The sweet and salty blend is so satisfying for dessert, especially in ice cream form. But what’s a girl to do if you can’t have peanuts?
Enter sunflower seed butter, a delicious nut-free peanut butter alternative. It’s creamy and delicious with the same amazing salty taste. perfect for a chocolate peanut butter ice cream swap.
We’re using 5 simple ingredients (and no added sugar!) to get a thick and creamy fruit-based ice cream. You’ll love this ice cream because it has clean ingredients, no dairy, and it’s thick, creamy, and delicious!
You would never know there isn’t added sugar thanks to the sweet ripe bananas and vanilla extract. Speaking of bananas, be sure to use frozen bananas for this recipe! Fresh bananas will not work well.
Quick tip for smoothies & ice cream: keep a sealed container in the freezer with ripe bananas! Always peel the bananas before freezing them.
After blending this ice cream, you can enjoy it right away as a soft serve consistency, or you can add it to the freezer for 10-20 minutes for a firmer ice cream. Soft serve is my personal favorite, but do what makes your heart happy! Don’t forget to sprinkle some chocolate chips on top and drizzle extra sunbutter before enjoying.
This recipe is:
- vegan + vegetarian
- refined sugar-free
Tools + Ingredients:
- Vitamix Blender
- Frozen bananas
- Vanilla extract
- Cacao powder
- Plant-based milk
- Dark chocolate chips
If you have a blender that can’t blend thicker ice cream, use a food processor instead!
The frozen bananas and sunbutter both make this ice cream texture thick and creamy. It’s important to use frozen bananas!
Yes, it’s naturally sweet thanks to the frozen bananas along with the other ingredients. Plus the added chocolate chips
You can enjoy this ice cream right away as a soft serve ice cream consistency, or you can store it in the freezer for 10-20 minutes for a firmer consistency. You can also store the ice cream in a sealed container in the freezer to enjoy throughout the week!
Chocolate Sunbutter Ice Cream
- 2 ripe bananas sliced and frozen
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp sunbutter or nut butter
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips optional
- Blend all ingredients except chocolate chips in a high powered blender for 30-45 seconds. Use a tamper to push the ice cream towards the blades.
- Serve in a bowl and enjoy immediately, or freeze for 10 minutes if you prefer a firmer ice cream.
- It’s important to use frozen bananas for this recipe, do not use fresh bananas.
- If you have a blender that can’t blend thicker ice cream, use a food processor instead!
- The more plant-based milk you add, the less thick the ice cream will be.
- Enjoy immediately for a soft-serve ice cream consistency, or place in the freezer for 10-20 minutes for a firmer ice cream.